14 Dec 2013
The Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs provide a financial incentive for the "meaningful use" of certified EHR technology to achieve health and efficiency goals. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Recovery Act) provides for incentive payments for Medicaid eligible dentists (EPs) who adopt, implement, upgrade, or meaningfully use certified electronic health record (EHR) technology in their first year of participation in the program and successfully demonstrate meaningful use in subsequent years.
Eligibility. Incentive payments for eligible dentists are based on individual practitioners. If a dentist is part of a practice, each dentist may qualify for an incentive payment if each dentist successfully demonstrates meaningful use of certified EHR technology. Each dentist is eligible for only one incentive payment per year, regardless of the number of practice locations at which the dentist provides services.
Initial Qualify Criteria. To qualify for an incentive payment under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, a dentist must meet one of the following criteria:
- Have a minimum 30% Medicaid patient volume. Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) patients do not count toward the Medicaid patient volume criteria. The measuring period is a 90-day period of your choice.
- Practice predominantly in a Federally Qualified Health Center or Rural Health Center and have a minimum 30% patient volume attributable to needy individuals.
Please contact us for assistance in determining if your practice meets the criteria.
Qualifications. To receive EHR incentive payments in the first year under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, the dentist must do at least one of the following:
- Adopt EHR technology that has been certified by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. Technology created and licensed by Advanced Dental Information Network has been certified.
- Implement certified EHR technology the dentist has already purchased.
- Upgrade the dentist’s current EHR technology to the newly certified version.
- Demonstrate “meaningful use” of certified EHR technology for a 90-day period.
Registration. Register as soon as possible. You can register before having a system installed. Eligible dentists can register for the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program at https://ehrincentives.cms.gov/hitech/login.action. You will need to have the following information available for registration:
- National Provider Identifier (NPI)
- National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) User ID and Password
- Payee Tax Identification Number (if the dentist is reassigning the benefits)
- Payee National Provider Identifier (NPI) (if the dentist is reassigning the benefits)
Attest for Incentive Payments. To obtain the EHR incentive payment, each dentist must attest (legally state) through the OHA website that the dentist met all of the eligibility criteria, including having adopted, implemented, upgraded, or meaningfully used certified EHR technology. Oregon’s attestation program is accessible through the Medicaid website at: http://medicaidehrincentives.oregon.gov/OHA/mhit/apply.shtml#pro.
Please contact our Health Law Group for further information.